500 gm fish (Pomfret or Kingfish), 2 cups basmati rice ,½ cup curd, 3 onions (2 sliced, 1 chopped), 3tsp lemon juice ,1 bay leaf ,2 tsp chilli powder , pinch of saffron dissolved in milk, ½ tsp turmeric powder , Salt to taste ,4 cloves, 4 tablespoon ghee, 5 green cardamoms,1 tablespoon ginger – garlic paste, 2 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp cumin powder, 2 tablespoon garam masala powder
To be grinded: half cup mint leaves, 1 cup coriander leaves ,3 green chillies, chopped,1 tsp poppy seeds ,6 flakes of garlic,1 large piece of ginger,1 stick cinnamon
To garnish: 2 tablespoon coriander leaves chopped, 2 tablespoon mint leaves chopped and1 tablespoon ginger juliennes
- Clean, wash and soak the rice for 30minutes. Drain.
- Wash, clean the fish, debone and cut into small pieces. Marinate the fish with ginger – garlic paste, turmeric powder, 1 tsp chilli powder for about 20 minutes.
- Heat oil on a tawa and fry fish till slightly browned. Keep aside.
Grind all the ingredients for paste in a mixer with a little water. Keep aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoon of ghee and sauté sliced onion till golden brown. Remove and keep aside.
- In the same ghee add the rice and fry for 5 minutes. Add 4 cups of hot water, cook for 2 minutes, reduce to medium heat and cook until three quarters done. Drain.
- Heat 2 tablespoon of ghee in a saucepan, add green cardamom, bay leaf and cloves. Add chopped onion and sauté till golden brown. Add the ground biryani paste. Stir fry for 2 minutes. Add ¼ cup curd and cook until the fat leaves the masala.
- Add the pieces of fried fish, coriander powder, cumin powder, and the remaining red chilli powder and 1 tsp of garam masala. Simmer till the gravy thickens. Add a few sprigs of coriander and mint leaves. Remove and keep aside.
- In an oven proof pan or dish arrange a layer of fish masala, sprinkle coriander and mint leaves, saffron milk, half teaspoon garam masala, half the fried onions and half tablespoon ginger juliennes. Placethe rice layer on fish masala. Sprinkle with saffron milk, remaining ginger juliennes, garam masala, coriander and mint leaves and remaining fried onions. Make holes and put butter in between the layers and on top. Place a wet cloth on the top, cover the pan / dish with alid.
- Either bake the biryani in a preheated oven for 15 minutes or keep the pan /dish on tawa on low flame for 10 minutes. Serve hot with raita of your choice.